Social Proverbs Discussion Assignment
The goal of this assignment is to use evidence from the social psychological research literature to address whether or not there is support for a popular proverb or saying about social behavior.
This paper should be 5 – 7 pages in length (double-spaced).
You first need to choose a proverb to write about (see potential list below). You are encouraged to choose one of the proverbs from this list, but you may also come up with your own as long as your instructor approves your choice.
After choosing a proverb, you will need to find at least 2 references from psychological / sociological peer reviewed journals that contain social psychological research that is relevant to your proverb.
You’ll need to read the articles and summarize/ describe them in your report. Be sure to only use articles that directly address the issue presented in the proverb.
For the paper itself, you will do the following:
1. Present the proverb you are interested in, along with your own personal “theory” about whether the proverb is true or not.
2. For each of the two articles (studies) you find, do the following:
-Describe the study that was done – what was the hypothesis? What were the independent and dependent variables?
-Describe the findings. If the article is complex, it’s ok to just focus on the findings that are relevant for your proverb.
-Offer a summary of whether the study supports or refutes the proverb.
(Do this for each of the two studies)
3. Finish with a final conclusion about your proverb or saying: Do the two studies suggest the proverb is true or not? Also offer comments about shortcomings or weaknesses of the social psychological literature that you examined. Are there problems with the studies that make you question their validity?
Remember, your research might support the proverb, or it may not. It’s also possible that you’ll find one study supporting your proverb and one refuting it. Any of these possibilities is fine! If your studies are in conflict with each other, be sure to discuss why you think that’s the case (e.g., how do differences between the studies account for the different findings?)
4. Provide references for your two articles.
List of proverbs and sayings
1. Birds of a feather flock together.
2. Love is blind.
3. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
4. There’s no such thing as love at first sight.
5. I’d rather be disliked for who I am than liked for who I am not.
6. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
7. Only dead fish swim with the stream.
8. With a silver tongue and kindness you can drag an elephant by a hair.
9. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
10. Actions speak louder than words.
11. Beauty is only skin deep.
12. Familiarity breeds contempt.
13. Good fences make good neighbors.
14. Honesty is the best policy.
15. Revenge is sweet.
16. Never judge a book by its cover.
17. You scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.
18. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
19. True love never grows old.
20. You can’t please everyone.
21. Men are only interested in sex, whereas women are interested in love.
22. (When describing people from another group): They all look alike!
23. When you’re feeling angry, “blowing off a little steam” by exercising or working hard will help.
24. Children aren’t born with prejudices- they learn them.
25. The more people we can put on the case, the more likely we’ll solve the problem.
26. People prefer potential dating partners who are “hard to get.”
27. A smile for a stranger opens many gates.
28. The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.
29. A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
30. The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made.
Please be sure to use sources and format citations in the APA citation format.
Submissions should be typed, double-spaced, 1″ margins, times new roman 12 pt font, and saved as .doc, .docx, .pdf.
Use APA format for citations and references
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more